Welcome to my webpage! My name is Arnaldo Rodriguez-Gonzalez, and I’m currently a Ph.D. candidate in Theoretical & Applied Mechanics at Cornell. Here you’ll find a comprehensive listing of my works, scientific or otherwise, along with other assorted miscellanea. Enjoy!
I am by-and-large a theoretician and computational scientist, interested in developing mathematical frameworks to understand “exotic” physical phenomena and then applying these models to solve high-impact problems in engineering. Most of the time, this involves highly complicated systems for which a simplified model of the dominant physics can be determined. Currently, I use dynamical systems theory to understand & engineer microhydrodynamic phenomena at the Cornell Micro/Nanofluidics Laboratory.
Scientific Publications & Reports
- Rodriguez-Gonzalez, A., Shen, T. Determining Stability Margins in Superconducting Magnets using 3-D Finite Element Analysis. Fermilab Technical Report 2012, SIST Program. https://indico.fnal.gov/event/5774/contribution/7/material/paper/0.pdf
Scalable Synthesis of Switchable Assemblies of Gold Nanorod Lyotropic Liquid Crystal Nanocomposites. Small 2019, 15, 1901666. https://doi.org/10.1002/smll.201901666, , , , , , , , , ,
- https://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevE.101.032125 , Gleghorn, J. P., Kirby, B. J., Rational Design Protocols for Size-Based Particle Sorting Microdevices Using Symmetry-Induced Cyclical Dynamics. Physical Review E 2020, 101, 032125.
- Understanding Colloidal Particle Dynamics in Microfluidic Obstacle Lattices with Symbolic Dynamics, NORDITA Soft Matter Seminar (invited speaker), September 2020.
- Modernist Motion: Symbolic Dynamics as a Tool for 21st Century Science, Cornell Applied Dynamics Seminar (delivered online), May 2020.
- Invariance as Information: Exploiting Symmetries in Mathematical Models, SiGMA Seminar, November 2018.
- Manipulating Colloidal Particle Dynamics in Microfluidic Channels with Particle-Obstacle Interactions, Cornell Fluids Seminar, February 2018.
- Open Problems in Theoretical Mechanics: A Bird’s Eye View, SiGMA Seminar, October 2017.
- Microscale Fluid Mechanics: Concepts and Innovations, Summer STEM Colloquium, August 2017.
- 13th International Symposium on Electrokinetics (ELKIN), 2019 (Poster)
- IUTAM Symposium on Stochastic Approaches to Fluid Flow Transitions, 2018.
Honors and Awards
- 2019, H. D. Block Teaching Prize
- 2016, Cornell Sloan Fellowship
- 2015, UPR-Mayagüez Honor Roll (top 5% of class)
- 2010, Rafael Carrión Jr. Academic Excellence Award
Ph.D. (Current) Cornell University, theoretical & applied mechanics.
B.S. (2015) University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, mechanical engineering (magna cum laude), minor in applied mathematics.