Welcome to my webpage! My name is Arnaldo Rodriguez-Gonzalez, and I’m currently a post-doctoral ALI fellow at Cornell. Here you’ll find a comprehensive listing of my works, scientific or otherwise, along with other assorted miscellanea. Enjoy!
I am by-and-large a theoretician and computational scientist, interested in developing mathematical frameworks to understand “exotic” physical phenomena and then applying these models to solve high-impact problems in engineering. Most of the time, this involves highly complicated systems for which a simplified model of the dominant physics can be determined.
Scientific Publications & Reports
- Rodriguez-Gonzalez, A., Analyzing Topological Mixing and Chaos on Continua Using Symbolic Dynamics. Preprint, 2023.
- Oprea, M., Walth, M., Stephany, R., Nothaft, G. T., Rodriguez-Gonzalez, A., Clark, W., Learning the Delay using Neural Delay Differential Equations. Accepted to the Proceedings of the 62nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2023.
- Clark, W. A., Gomes, M. W., Rodriguez-Gonzalez, A., Stein, L. C., Strogatz, S. H., Surprises in a Classic Boundary Layer Problem. SIAM Review (Vol. 65, Issue 1, pp. 291–315), 2023.
- Rational Design Protocols for Size-Based Particle Sorting Microdevices Using Symmetry-Induced Cyclical Dynamics. Physical Review E 2020, 101, 032125. , Gleghorn, J. P., Kirby, B. J.,
- Scalable Synthesis of Switchable Assemblies of Gold Nanorod Lyotropic Liquid Crystal Nanocomposites. Small 2019, 15, 1901666. , , , , , , , , , ,
- Rodriguez-Gonzalez, A., Shen, T. Determining Stability Margins in Superconducting Magnets using 3-D Finite Element Analysis. Fermilab Technical Report 2012, SIST Program.
- Understanding Colloidal Particle Dynamics in Microfluidic Obstacle Lattices with Symbolic Dynamics, NORDITA Soft Matter Seminar (invited speaker), September 2020.
- Modernist Motion: Symbolic Dynamics as a Tool for 21st Century Science, Cornell Applied Dynamics Seminar (delivered online), May 2020.
- Invariance as Information: Exploiting Symmetries in Mathematical Models, SiGMA Seminar, November 2018.
- Manipulating Colloidal Particle Dynamics in Microfluidic Channels with Particle-Obstacle Interactions, Cornell Fluids Seminar, February 2018.
- Open Problems in Theoretical Mechanics: A Bird’s Eye View, SiGMA Seminar, October 2017.
- Microscale Fluid Mechanics: Concepts and Innovations, Summer STEM Colloquium, August 2017.
- SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems (DS21), 2021.
- 13th International Symposium on Electrokinetics (ELKIN), 2019 (Poster)
- IUTAM Symposium on Stochastic Approaches to Fluid Flow Transitions, 2018.
Honors and Awards
- 2021 & 2019, H. D. Block Teaching Prize
- 2016, Cornell Sloan Fellowship
- 2015, UPR-Mayagüez Honor Roll (top 5% of class)
- 2010, Rafael Carrión Jr. Academic Excellence Award
Ph.D. (2022) Cornell University, theoretical & applied mechanics, minor in applied mathematics.
B.S. (2015) University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, mechanical engineering (magna cum laude), minor in applied mathematics.